SparkFun Photodetector (MAX30101) Hookup Guide
Resources and Going Further
For more on the SparkFun Photodetector (MAX30101), check out the links below:
- GitHub Hardware Repository -- Home base for the sensor's latest design files
- SparkFun Photodetector (MAX30101) Schematic (PDF)
- SparkFun Photodetector (MAX30101) Eagle Files (ZIP)
- MAX30101 Datasheet (PDF)
- SparkFun MAX3010x Arduino Library -- Source and example files for the Arduino library used in this tutorial.
- Qwiic MAX3010x Python Package
- SFE Product Showcase
Note: Particle detection, heart rate measurement, and photoplethysmography (for pulse oximetry) are applications of the MAX30101. These applications are detailed in the notes below; however, they require an understanding of the operating principles of the sensor and a conceptual knowledge of the application(s). Although, we provided the information below for interested users and may provide some examples of the application in our software; these applications are, unfortunately, not supported by SparkFun and the examples are primarily for demonstration purposes only.
Here are additional resources on how the MAX30101 functions for HR detection and pulse oximetry:
- Basic Concept: The sensor relies on the reflection and scattering of the red and IR light that penetrates into the subcutaneous tissue.
- Penetration Depth Guide For Biosensor Applications
- Guidelines for SpO2 Measurement Using the Maxim® MAX32664 Sensor Hub
- Recommended Configurations and Operating Profilesfor MAX30101/MAX30102 EV Kits
- Multi-wavelength photoplethysmography method for skin arterial pulse extraction
- Signal-to-Noise Ratio as a Quantitative Measure for Optical Biosensors
For more information on particulate matter and their detection, check out these resources:
- Basic Concept: The sensor relies on the reflection and scattering of the red and IR light from particles to detect their presence.
Maxim's Original Firmware for the MAX30102 adapted in our Arduino Library:
For more sensor action, check out these other great SparkFun tutorials.
SparkFun Inventor's Kit for Edison Experiment Guide
Qwiic OpenLog Hookup Guide
Or check out this blog post for ideas: