Exploring XBees and XCTU
Resources and Going Further
That should be enough to get you started. If you're looking for more XBee and XBee Shield info, check out these resources:
- Markdown version of this tutorial
- XBee Explorer USB
- XBee Explorer Dongle
- XBee Explorer Serial
- XBee Wireless Class Materials -- Check out our teaching materials for the XBee class we lead every once-in-a-while.
Or check out some of these links from Digi.
- Digi Support
- Examples and Guides - Configure XBee Series 2 (ZigBee protocol) to send data in transparent mode just like a Series 1 (802.15.4 protocol) or control a lamp wirelessly! Check out the examples listed on Digi for more information.
- Projects Gallery - Check out the 110+ projects in the gallery for some inspiration.
- XBee Series 1 Manual -- For more advanced users, if you really want to take advantage of the XBee's unique abilities, check out this guide.
With XBee and the XBee Explorer you have most of the tools you'll need to take your project to the airwaves. If you're looking to add Arduino to the mix, we recommend using an XBee Shield and following along with our XBee Shield Hookup Guide.
What are you going to make? Need some inspiration? Check out these related tutorials:
- XBee WiFi Hookup Guide -- Take the next step with XBees, using the XBee WiFi. These modules allow you to connect to a wireless network and give your Arduino Internet access!
- Simon Splosion Wireless -- This tutorial demonstrates one of many techniques to "hack" the Simon Says -- use XBee's to make the Simon game wireless!
- Getting Started With the RedBot -- The RedBot is our popular, Arduino-based robot platform. Once you get it rolling, you can take it a step further by controlling it with an XBee!
XBee WiFi Hookup Guide
XBee Shield Hookup Guide
Connectivity of the Internet of Things
Or check out some of these blog posts for ideas: