MicroMod Asset Tracker Carrier Board Hookup Guide
The Asset Tracker examples will run on any SparkFun MicroMod Processor Board (PB) but each PB has a slightly different sequence to follow when uploading and running code. For example, some require a press of the Boot button and others do not. Head over to our MicroMod Processor Boards landing page, find your Processor, and read through its tutorial for help installing your board definition and how to upload the code.
We have prepared a complete set of examples showing you how to use all of the features on the Asset Tracker. However, the examples need access to several Arduino Libraries before they will run correctly and so you need to install those too.
Installing the MicroMod Asset Tracker Carrier Board Examples
The Asset Tracker examples live on GitHub in the Asset Tracker repository and you will find them in the Examples folder. You can download the complete repository from GitHub as a single .ZIP file by clicking the button below:
Unzip the .ZIP file and copy all 22 examples to a suitable folder on your computer. We recommend putting them in your Arduino folder.
You will see that each example comprises three files. E.g for Example1:
- AssetTracker_Example1_Blink.ino is the actual example code
- AssetTrackerPins.h contains the pin definitions to allow each Processor to work correctly with the Asset Tracker
- AssetTrackerPins.ino contains useful ‘housekeeping’ functions that do things like turn on the SD or IMU power. They are in a separate file to make them easier to update when we add new processor boards and to avoid cluttering up the main example code.
When it is time to open and try Example1 select the AssetTracker_Example1_Blink.ino file first. The other two will open automatically as they are in the same folder.
SparkFun u-blox SARA-R5 Arduino Library
The SparkFun u-blox SARA-R5 Arduino Library lives on GitHub too and you can either install it using the Arduino Library Manager, or you can install it manually.
If you want to install the library using the Arduino Library Manager, then search for ‘SparkFun u-blox SARA-R5’.
Alternatively, you can download a .ZIP of the library by clicking the button below:
Once you have the u-blox SARA-R5 library installed, most (but not all) of the examples will work correctly. To allow the full set to run, you also need to install the following libraries:
- SparkFun ICM-20948 IMU Arduino Library
- SparkFun MAX1704x Fuel Gauge Arduino Library
- SparkFun Qwiic Power Switch Arduino Library
- SparkFun Micro OLED Arduino Library
- Bill Greiman' SdFat Library
You can install them using the Arduino Library manager by searching for their respective names. Alternatively, you can download the .ZIP for each of them by clicking the buttons below: