Beginner's Guide to KiCad
Resources and Going Further
Congratulations! That was a big tutorial and you made it through.
For more information related to KiCad, check out the resources below:
- KiCad - Official KiCad page.
- Download KiCad - KiCad software download page for your operating system or distribution.
- Online Documentation
- Library GitHub Repo - The schematic and 3D libraries supported by KiCad team.
- Library Convention - Online document that outlines the requirements for contributing schematic-symbols and footprints to the official KiCad library repositories.
- Contextual Electronics: KiCad YouTube Video Series
- Lachlan's Eagle to KiCad Converter GitHub Repo - Eagle schematic/library to KiCad schematic/library ULP conversion script.
- ZOPT220x UV Sensor Breakout KiCad Files (ZIP) - Example KiCad Files used in this tutorial.
- SparkFun_SchematicComponents.lib - Library used to link components in in this tutorial for the ZOPT220x UV Sensor Breakout schematic.
- original fp-lib-table - This library is what KiCad creates by default.
- sparkfun fp-lib-table - The list of SparkFun libraries. You don't need to download it, it's just for reference.
- combined fp-lib-table- This is the combination of the original KiCad table, with extraneous libraries removed and SparkFun libraries added.
- SparkFun Eagle Library GitHub Repo - Classic SparkFun Eagle library.
- SparkFun KiCad Library GitHub Repo - SparkFun's Eagle library ported to a Kicad library.
Now that you've learned how to modify schematics, PCB layouts, and libraries, it's time to try out your skills on your own custom project. We recommend using the ZOPT220x UV Sensor Breakout KiCad files as the starting point for your next project. From this example project, you can delete or add devices as you need rather than starting from a blank canvas.
Need some more inspiration? Check out SparkFun's Enginursday and project blog posts about KiCad.
Eagle to KiCad
If you are an EAGLE guru starting to get your feet wet with KiCad, be sure to checkout Lachlan's Eagle to KiCad converter for converting your Eagle PCB layouts to KiCad. It's not perfect but Lachlan has done a tremendous amount of groundwork.
Thanks for reading and if you have any comments or questions please ask them in the comments section.
Digi-Key and SparkFun KiCad Video Series
Or check out 10-part KiCad video series with Digi-Key and SparkFun as Shawn designs a simple 555 timer circuit for a badge, orders parts, and solders the badge together! The video linked below is just after Digi-Key guides you through KiCad and we begin to apply our skills to create the badge.