Connecting Arduino to Processing
Contributors: b_e_nFavorited Favorite 35
So, you've blinked some LEDs with Arduino, and maybe you've even drawn some pretty pictures with Processing - what's next? At this point you may be thinking, 'I wonder if there's a way to get Arduino and Processing to communicate to each other?'. Well, guess what - there is! - and this tutorial is going to show you how.
In this tutorial we will learn:
- How to send data from Arduino to Processing over the serial port
- How to receive data from Arduino in Processing
- How to send data from Processing to Arduino
- How to receive data from Processing in Arduino
- How to write a serial 'handshake' between Arduino and Processing to control data flow
- How to make a 'Pong' game that uses analog sensors to control the paddles
Before we get started, there are a few things you should be certain you're familiar with to get the most out of this tutorial:
- What's an Arduino?
- How to use a breadboard
- Working with wire
- What is serial communication?
- Some basic familiarity with Processing will be useful, but not strictly necessary.
Looking for the right Arduino?
Check out our Arduino Comparison Guide! We've compiled every Arduino development board we carry, so you can quickly compare them to find the perfect one for your needs.