Connecting Arduino to Processing
So, you've blinked some LEDs with Arduino, and maybe you've even drawn some pretty pictures with Processing - what's next? At this point you may be thinking, 'I wonder if there's a way to get Arduino and Processing to communicate to each other?'. Well, guess what - there is! - and this tutorial is going to show you how.
In this tutorial we will learn:
- How to send data from Arduino to Processing over the serial port
- How to receive data from Arduino in Processing
- How to send data from Processing to Arduino
- How to receive data from Processing in Arduino
- How to write a serial 'handshake' between Arduino and Processing to control data flow
- How to make a 'Pong' game that uses analog sensors to control the paddles
Before we get started, there are a few things you should be certain you're familiar with to get the most out of this tutorial:
- What's an Arduino?
- How to use a breadboard
- Working with wire
- What is serial communication?
- Some basic familiarity with Processing will be useful, but not strictly necessary.